Research Scientist, Center For Health Innovation
Yan Li, PhD, is a Research Scientist at the Center for Health Innovation at The New York Academy of Medicine. His research interests include systems science modeling in population health and health care management, cost-effectiveness analysis, and big data analytics. He is particularly interested in advancing both the theory and application of agent-based modeling. Dr. Li is the Principal Investigator of a four-year, $3.15 million R01 Grant funded by the National Institutes of Health to develop innovative agent-based models to inform health policies and programs for preventing cardiovascular disease in New York City.
Dr. Li received his PhD in Biomedical Engineering from Purdue University and completed postdoctoral training in Systems Engineering at Texas A&M University. His research has been published in leading academic journals in both public health and systems engineering fields. Dr. Li's research has been supported by a number of funding agencies such as the National Institutes of Health, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, European Commission, and the New York State Department of Health. He was awarded the Systems Science Scholarship by AcademyHealth in 2017.
- Li, Y., Liu, S. H., Niu, L., and Liu, B. “Unhealthy behaviors, prevention measures, and neighborhood cardiovascular health: A machine learning approach,” Journal of Public Health Management & Practice, 2018. DOI: 10.1097/PHH.0000000000000817.
- Li, Y., Zhang, D., Thapa, J.R., Madondo, K., Yi, S.S., Fisher, E., Griffin, K., Liu, B., Wang, Y., and Pagán, J.A. “Assessing the role of access and price on the consumption of fruits and vegetables across New York City using agent-based modeling,” Preventive Medicine, 2018, 106, 73-78.
- Li, Y., Padron, N., Mangla, A. T., Russo, P. G., Schlenker, T., and Pagán, J. A. “Using systems science to improve population health strategies in local health departments: a case study in San Antonio, Texas,” Public Health Reports, 2017, 132(5), 549-555.
- Li, Y., Carlson, E., Villarreal, R., Meraz, L., and Pagán, J. A. “Cost-effectiveness of a patient navigation program to improve cervical cancer screening,” American Journal of Managed Care, 2017, 23(7), 300-305.
- Li, Y., Berenson, J., Moran, A. E., and Pagán, J. A. “Who does not reduce their sodium intake despite being advised to do so? A population segmentation analysis,” Preventive Medicine, 2017, 99, 77-79.
- Zhang, D., Li, Y., Wang, G., Moran, A., and Pagán, J. A. “Nutrition label use and sodium intake in the United States,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2017, 53(6S2), S220-S227.
- Berenson, J., Li, Y., Lynch, J., and Pagán, J. A. “Identifying policy levers and opportunities for action across states to achieve health equity,” Health Affairs, 2017, 36(6), 1048-1056.
- Li, Y., Zhang, D. and Pagán, J. A. “Social norms and the consumption of fruits and vegetables across New York City neighborhoods.” Journal of Urban Health, 2016, 93(2), 244-255.
- Li, Y., Lawley, M., Siscovick, D. S., Zhang, D., and Pagán, J. A. “Agent-based modeling of chronic diseases: A narrative review and future research directions.” Preventing Chronic Disease. 2016, 13:150561.
- Li, Y., Kong, N., Lawley, M., Weiss, L., and Pagán, J. A. “Advancing the use of evidence-based decision making in local health departments with systems science methodologies,” American Journal of Public Health, 2015, 105(s2), s217-s222.
- (212) 419-3533