Sign up to receive Center for History/Library news & events.
The New York Academy of Medicine and its Library were founded in 1847; the library opened to the public in 1878. With more than 550,000 volumes, it is now one of the largest medical library collections in the United States, and is open to the general public by appointment. The Library’s holdings are housed in closed stacks and may not be browsed.
The Library forms part of the New York Academy of Medicine’s Center for the History of Medicine and Public Health. Established in 2012, the Center builds bridges among an interdisciplinary community of scholars, educators, clinicians, curatorial and conservation professionals, and the general public. More news about the Center and its programs and activities can be found on its blog, Books, Health, and History. Reflecting our changing focus, the library now collects in the histories of medicine, public health, and the book.
We house a significant part of our rare book collection in the Drs. Barry and Bobbi Coller Rare Book Reading Room, which also holds many secondary sources in the history of medicine and the history of books and printing.
While our primary emphasis is our historical collections, the Library continues to serve the needs of health care professionals and the general public. We publish the bi-monthly Grey Literature Report and provide reference services on medical and public health topics.