- About the Library
- Collections and Resources
- Digital Collections & Exhibits
- The Resurrectionists
- The William H. Helfand Collection of Pharmaceutical Trade Cards
- A Telling of Wonders
- Foundations: The Monstrous in Antiquity and the Middle Ages
- Natural Philosophy
- The Prodigy Book: The 16th Century
- The Prodigy Book: The 17th Century
- Collecting Curiosities: The Rise of the Medical Museum
- Popular Culture And Freak Shows
- Case Studies and Learned Societies
- The 18th Century: Monsters as a Battleground for Scientific and Philosophical Debates
- A New Era: The Birth of a Modern Definition of Teratology in the Early 19th Century
- Works Related to Teratology
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Recommended Resources
- Tips & Tutorials
- Digital Collections & Exhibits
- Center for the History of Medicine and Public Health
- Friends of the Rare Book Room
- Records of City Hospital (Welfare Island, N.Y.)
- Date Span
- Call Number
- City Hospital (Welfare Island, N.Y.)
- Collection Size
- .4 linear feet
City Hospital was a municipal hospital located on Welfare Island (formerly named Blackwell's Island, now named Roosevelt Island). The exact dates associated with the hospital are unclear, as many of them found in reference works and the collection conflict. According to Opdycke, the hospital began as the Penitentiary Hospital for the prison occupying the island, built in 1832. This later became Island Hospital, which expanded health care available to the city's poor. Island Hospital was destroyed by a fire in 1858, and a new building was built by prisoners on the island. The care and conditions at the hopsital were criticized, and in 1870, the hospital changed its name to Charity Hospital and hired a medical superintendant. By the 1930s, the hospital had been renamed City Hospital and had over one thousand beds. In 1957, the hospital was replaced by the City Hospital at Elmhurst.
Opdycke, Sandra. "Elmhurst Hospital Center" and "hospitals." Jackson, Kenneth T (ed.).1995. The encyclopedia of New York City. New Haven, Conn: Yale University Press.
Scope and Content
The collection includes hospital reports and surveys, historical accounts, documents concerning the buildings of City Hospital, and materials generated by related organizations, the Society of the Alumni of City Hospital and the City Hospital School of Nursing.
Administrative InfoCollection processed and described by Rebecca Pou
Requests for permission to quote from or publish any materials should be directed to the reference librarian or curator in writing.
Records of City Hospital (Welfare Island, N.Y.). The Drs. Barry and Bobbi Coller Rare Book Reading Room, New York Academy of Medicine Library.
|Box 1 Folder 1||Buildings, - undated; 1931-1955.|
|Box 1 Folder 2||History, - undated; -1952.|
|Box 1 Folder 3||Reports and Surveys, - 1945-1952.|
|Box 1 Folder 4||The School of Nursing, - 1877-1951.|
|Box 1 Folder 5||The Society of the Alumni of the City Hospital, - 1951; 1961.|
Find Similar Resources
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the catalog of The New York Academy of Medicine Library. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons, or places should search the catalog using these headings.