Records of City Hospital at Elmhurst (New York, N.Y.), 1953-1963

 
Records of City Hospital at Elmhurst

Historical Note

The City Hospital at Elmhurst, Queens opened in 1957. Originally named the Elmhurst General Hospital, it replaced the City Hospital on Welfare Island. Having 970 beds and 80 bassinets at opening, it expanded municipal health care in the borough and brought much needed psychiatric facilities. It is now called the Elmhurst Hospital Center.

Collection Description

Scope and Content

The collection includes hospital descriptions; correspondence; photographs; copies of "City Lights," the hospital's publication; and other materials. Many of the materials relate to the hospital's 1957 dedication ceremony.

Administrative Info

Collection processed and described by Rebecca Pou

Requests for permission to quote from or publish any materials should be directed to the reference librarian or curator in writing.

Preferred Citation

Records of City Hospital at Elmhurst (New York, N.Y.). The Drs. Barry and Bobbi Coller Rare Book Reading Room, New York Academy of Medicine Library.

Collection Contents

ContainerDescription
Box 1    Folder 1    "City Lights," - March 1960-March 1963.
Box 1    Folder 2    Dedication Ceremony, - 1957.
Box 1    Folder 3    Miscellaneous Documents, - undated; 1953-[1959].
Box 1    Folder 4    Photographs, - 1955-1957.

Find Similar Resources

Index Terms

This collection is indexed under the following headings in the catalog of The New York Academy of Medicine Library. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons, or places should search the catalog using these headings.

City Hospital at Elmhurst (New York, N.Y.)Search ArchiveGrid
Hospitals -- New York (State) -- New York.Search ArchiveGrid