- About the Library
- Collections and Resources
- Digital Collections & Exhibits
- The Resurrectionists
- The William H. Helfand Collection of Pharmaceutical Trade Cards
- A Telling of Wonders
- Foundations: The Monstrous in Antiquity and the Middle Ages
- Natural Philosophy
- The Prodigy Book: The 16th Century
- The Prodigy Book: The 17th Century
- Collecting Curiosities: The Rise of the Medical Museum
- Popular Culture And Freak Shows
- Case Studies and Learned Societies
- The 18th Century: Monsters as a Battleground for Scientific and Philosophical Debates
- A New Era: The Birth of a Modern Definition of Teratology in the Early 19th Century
- Works Related to Teratology
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Recommended Resources
- Tips & Tutorials
- Digital Collections & Exhibits
- Center for the History of Medicine and Public Health
- Friends of the Rare Book Room
- New York Society for Medical History Records
- Date Span
- Call Number
- New York Society for Medical History
- Collection Size
- .7 linear feet; , 2 boxes
The New York Society for Medical History was founded in 1939, the year its forerunner, the Innominate Club, disbanded. While the Innominate Club was a small, private group, the New York Society for Medical History was open to anyone, medically trained or not, interested in the history of medicine. Many prominent figures in the field were officers and members. Until 1952, the Society was a constituent member of the American Association of the History of Medicine. Scholarship was at the forefront of the organization, which organized presentations of papers and programs on the history of medicine.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of correspondence, constitution and by-laws, minutes, programs, member lists, photographs, and other materials. The majority of the collection pertains to the New York Society for Medical History, but Innominate Club materials can be found in a folder of correspondence, as well as bound with the first volume of New York Society for Medical History documents.
Arrangement of Collection
Records bound chronologically into 6 volumes, with loose items arranged in folders.
Correspondence of the Innominate Club, found in Box 2 Folder 1, was originally kept as a discrete collection. In 2008, the Innominate Club correspondence was integrated into the records of the New York Society for Medical History.
Administrative InfoCollection processed and described by Rebecca Pou
Requests for permission to quote from or publish any materials should be directed to the reference librarian or curator in writing.
New York Society for Medical History Records. The Drs. Barry and Bobbi Coller Rare Book Reading Room, New York Academy of Medicine Library.
Donated by Mrs. Walter R. Bett in 1968.
|Box 1||Records, - July 1938 to June 1940.|
- July 1940 to June 1941.|
This volume is missing.
|Box 1||Records, - July 1941 to June 1942.|
|Box 1||Records, - July 1942 to June 1943.|
|Box 1||Records, - July 1943 to June 1944.|
|Box 2 Folder||Records, - 1943 - 1955.|
|Box 2 Folder 1||Innominate Club Correspondence, - 1939.|
|Box 2 Folder 2||Constitution and By-laws.|
|Box 2 Folder 3||Correspondence and Miscellaneous Documents, - undated; 1939-1947.|
Find Similar Resources
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the catalog of The New York Academy of Medicine Library. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons, or places should search the catalog using these headings.