- About the Library
- Collections and Resources
- Digital Collections & Exhibits
- The Resurrectionists
- The William H. Helfand Collection of Pharmaceutical Trade Cards
- A Telling of Wonders
- Foundations: The Monstrous in Antiquity and the Middle Ages
- Natural Philosophy
- The Prodigy Book: The 16th Century
- The Prodigy Book: The 17th Century
- Collecting Curiosities: The Rise of the Medical Museum
- Popular Culture And Freak Shows
- Case Studies and Learned Societies
- The 18th Century: Monsters as a Battleground for Scientific and Philosophical Debates
- A New Era: The Birth of a Modern Definition of Teratology in the Early 19th Century
- Works Related to Teratology
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Recommended Resources
- Tips & Tutorials
- Digital Collections & Exhibits
- Center for the History of Medicine and Public Health
- Friends of the Rare Book Room
- Street Guides
- Date Span
- 1852-1954, bulk 1905-1954
- Call Number
- Collection Size
- 30 items
Street and city guides were distributed by doctors as a means to advertise their medical services. Many of the practices specialized in men's health and sexually transmitted diseases.
Scope and Content
Most of the pamphlets are as much about health and medical services as street listings. Some include other local information such as railroad fares, building guides, and calendars or baseball schedules (used to estimate publication dates).
Administrative InfoCollection processed and described by Rebecca Pou.
Requests for permission to quote from or publish any materials should be directed to the reference librarian or curator in writing.
Street Guides, 1852-1954. The Drs. Barry and Bobbi Coller Rare Book Reading Room, New York Academy of Medicine.
Gift of William Helfand, 2005.
|Box 1||City Health Institute. New Chicago street guide. - Undated|
|Box 1||Chicago Health Institute. New Chicago street guide. - [1932?]|
|Box 1||Chicago Medical Institute. The latest Chicago street guide and other useful information.
- [1938?]; [1940?], c1939; c1942|
|Box 1||Chicago Medical Institute. The latest Chicago street guide surface lines and other useful information. - [1941?], c1939|
|Box 1||Culp, E.E. The latest Chicago street guide and other useful information. - [1945?], c1944|
|Box 1||Dearborn Health Service. The latest Chicago street guide. - [1950?], c1949|
|Box 1||Illinois Health Institute. Latest Chicago street guide. - [1940?]|
|Box 1||Illinois Health Institute. Latest social security and street guide. - [1938?]|
|Box 1||Illinois Health Institute. Up-to-date Chicago street guide and baseball schedules. - [1936?]|
|Box 1||Mabee, J.R. Chicago street guide. - [1931?], c1929|
|Box 1||Mabee, J.R. New Chicago street guide. - [1924?]|
|Box 1||Riley, John M. The latest Chicago street guide and other useful information.
- [1948?], c1944; [1950?], c1944; [1954?], c1944|
|Box 1||Thompson, E.G. Latest Chicago street guide.
|Box 1||Denver Medical Dispensary Co. Denver street guide and directory. Denver Print and Pub Co. - [1907?]|
|Box 1||Denver Medical Institute. Pocket guide to the city of Denver. The Midwest Printing Co. - Undated.|
|Box 1||Phelps' New York City guide. New York: T.C. Fanning, - 1852|
|Box 1||Union Medical Council. U.M.C. - [1906?], c1905|
|Box 1||Ferry, C.T. Philadelphia: trolley, motor bus, street, health, and latest social security guide. - [1938?]|
|Box 1||Treible, S. Decker. A pocket note book. - [1910?]|
|Box 1||Dr. Shearer and Associates. A Book of Information: Parks, Museums, Libraries, and Scientific Institutions. - Undated.|
|Box 1||Central Medical Office. St. Louis street and health guide.
- [1948?], [1954?], [1954?]|
|Box 1||National Medical Institute. Street guide of the city of St. Louis. - Undated.|
|Box 1||Dr. McClelland and Associates. Latest Youngstown street guide and surburban auto routes. - c1941|
Find Similar Resources
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the catalog of The New York Academy of Medicine Library. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons, or places should search the catalog using these headings.